Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Going to Chicago and saving...

I'm going to Chicago in about 2 weeks for an autism conference and to visit family but I'm also so excited to get some Chicago newspapers with the "good" coupons.  I'm thinking about also dumpster diving while I'm there for all the past coupon inserts.  I will share my pictures!!!  I'm such a dork for that to be one of my highlights.  But this post is about how I plant to save money while I'm there. First, I'm going to get my military ID renewed so I can use it to get discounts everywhere I go. I always ask, "Do you offer a military discount" and most places usually do. We will be going to the Navy Pier and they offer a lot of benefits to military families.  Second, as part of the autism conference there will be free tickets available to some of the area attractions and it is first come first serve.  I already researched who has what and will make that my first stop at the conference.  Third, I'm stocking up on all the freebies given out at the conference on supplement packets, post-it notes and such.  Four, I'm taking all my own food.  We will eat breakfast and dinner in and eat lunch out but at a low-cost fast food type restaurant. I pack all our snacks and buy up on bottled water and take it with me.  Think of the savings by just not going to the vending machine at a hotel or raiding the mini bar.  Fifth, we're going to the zoo for free.  I have a Mesker Park zoo membership and there is a local zoo to the hotel that accepts my membership so we can get in free. I use this also to go to the Louisville zoo free.  My kids love the zoo and this will makes for a nice free outing.  I also researched local parks and playgrounds for more free fun for the kids.   I'm sure I will come up with some more ways to save in the next 2 weeks.  I'll be packing on my travel size free shampoos and such I've couponed for free throughout the year as well.  I will be taking my laptop so I will continue to post deals and such too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment