Tuesday, June 28, 2011

How to make your own laundry detergent

I always had to buy scent free and dye free detergent for my older son because he is very chemically sensitive. I usually bought All Free and Clear. Then one day I saw an episode of 18 Kids and Counting about the Duggar family and they were making their own laundry detergent to save money. The idea popped in my head that I could make my own laundry detergent as well and make it all natural. So I experimented with a few recipes and finally found one that worked well for me. I use to spend $12 for a large 96 oz. container of All. I know spend about $.04 for each load of laundry. It may seem like it’s hard to do but it’s actually very easy and I love the lingering smell it leaves in my kitchen. I have a youtube video with step-by-step directions HERE if you want to watch that.
Here is the recipe:
1 Quart water (boiling)
2 cups bar of soap (grated)
2 cups Borax
2 cups washing soda

Equipment needed: A large pan, a long handled spoon, potato peeler, 1 cup measuring cup, large container to stir in and a funnel. I bought all my tools at a thrift shop since it was not going to be used with food.

1. add finely grated bar soap to the boiling water and stir until the soap is melted. You can keep on low heat until soap is melted.

2. pour the soap water into a large, clean pail and add the Borax and washing soda. Stir well until all is dissolved.

3. add 8 quarts of water, stir until well mixed

4. pour the soap into empty laundry containers and put the lids on.

Tips: Shake the container before you measure it out to break up any clumps. I use Kirk’s Castile bar soap because it is dye and perfume free but you can use any bar soap. You can also add perfume to it to scent it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment