Sunday, July 10, 2011

Yard Sale update

I made almost $90 at my yard sale this weekend and I'm pretty happy with that.  I didn't have any big items, mostly boys clothing at $.50 - $1.  My big seller was ziploc bags of misc. small toys for $.50.  I sold a ton of those and now I can see the floor in my boys bedrooms.  My sister-in-law is an expert in yard sale strategy and below are some of her tips she passed on to me:

- Put out lots of signs that say in big bold letters, yard sale, your address and date.  That's it.  Also, drawing an arrow pointing in the direction of your house helps too.

- Advertise free on craigslist.com and tri-state yard sales on Facebook. List all the different items that you are selling.  Someone may come to your sale just because you said your selling Crocs shoes.

- Spread your stuff out in the yard to make it look big and give people room to walk

- put everything you can on tables, people don't want to bend down and sit on the ground to look through stuff

- offer people a cardboard box to use as a "shopping box" to put their items into.  They can leave it up by you (where your taking money) and carry it around with them. Some people won't buy more than they can hold in their hands and this way they may spend more.

- sale cookies, brownies and bottled water

- put any big baby items like strollers, outdoor toys and such up front.  Lots of people shop for baby items and that will make them stop and shop

- be willing to bargain. 

- wash, iron, and run a lint roller on clothing and hang them if you can.  The nicer it looks, the more you can sell it for.

- Have your sale on 2 days like a Friday and Saturday if you can.  You may double your money that way.

If you have any more tips to pass on please leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear more ideas and hopefully it will help someone have a successful yard sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment